Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Many Merry Choux

This past weekend, I decided to try my hand at making cream puffs. I've heard from various bakers that this is one of their biggest challenge. It's not tough to make. The process just requires sifting flour, heating up butter and flour, add eggs then mix it all together. See, it's so simple.

The minute I added the eggs to the heated butter and flour, I can feel that there is something wrong. It's too liquid, not thick enough to hold the shape of a puff pastry. I thought, "What the heck?" and popped it into the oven. Sometimes when things don't seem to work, they probably won't work out. Thus the first batch was a complete failure.

The second batch yielded a different result. The batter was thick enough to hold the shape. Half way through I checked the oven (without opening the door) and the pastry puffed up. By the time they were ready to come out of the oven, they were golden on top with a light sizzle (the effect of having so much butter). They looked perfect, but the true test is the inside. Would it be hollow? Or would they be perfect?

The world decided to give me perfect puff pastry....and thus the final creation.


1 comment: