Friday, October 14, 2011

Many Merry プリン 

プリン (purin) is Japanese for pudding. It's not the typical pudding you find at the market, in vanilla or chocolate. It's more of a baked custard pudding.

My sister was in Japan last winter; each time I skyped with her she was eating a pudding. She'd tell me how good it was and I was missing out. Trust me, the very fact that she was in Japan was good enough reason to murder her. After her experience with "real" Japanese pudding, she have declared that whatever version America has is incomparable.

So here is my shot at making Japanese pudding.


It's not pretty, but who said good food had to be pretty. According to my sister, my pudding resembled real pudding. It wasn't bad, but could definitely be perfected. 

The pudding was sweet and creamy. I might have browned the caramel a bit too much, since there was a hint of bitterness. It might take a few times to perfect the pudding, but it would definitely be worth the effort.

Oh yeah, check out this video. The Japanese love プリン.  giga purin



3 comments:

  1. I like pudding as much as the next person, but that video freaked me out a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video makes me sorely wish I were still a pothead. I actually once dated a girl named Takara, which naturally makes it funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like pudding. I actually really enjoyed the commercial and now I want to watch more Japanese advertising. Something really interesting is going on.

    ReplyDelete